Indian Education Programs
The purpose of the Indian Education Formula Grant program, authorized in Part A, Subpart 1 of Title VII of the Elementary and Secondary Education Act (the Act), is to provide Indian students with the opportunity to meet the same challenging State standards as all other students and meet the unique educational and culturally related academic needs of American Indian and Alaska Native students.
The El Dorado County Office of Education serves as the fiscal and lead agent for Indian Education program activities and takes a primary role in developing and implementing program activities as well as ensuring the overall success of the program.
The El Dorado County Office of Education (EDCOE) :
- Provides overall programmatic leadership for the Indian Education Formula Grant Program
- Develops communication system linking all program sites and participating organizations
- Implements systems and procedures to comply with Indian Education Formula Grant Program grant requirements for assessment and evaluation
- Provides required after school tutoring services to students at Indian Education Centers, select school sites, or other selected locations as funding for tutoring allows.
- Provides qualified staffing at each site along with necessary supplies, materials and equipment
- Provides staff development for all personnel working with Native students
- Provides monthly newsletters to families of Native students announcing program services and activities as well as other activities that might be of interest to Native families.
- Provides Indian Education Liaison services to Native students/families in an effort to encourage Native students to take full advantage of all available academic and extra curricular activities offered by the (school district).
- Provides an extensive cultural resource library to Native students, families, teachers and the general public on all facets of Native history and culture.
- Is responsible for completing and submitting the Annual Evaluation and end of year report to the United States Department of Education-Indian Education Office.