Head Start is a federally funded high-quality preschool program for income eligible families with children from 3 to 5 years of age. The program operates 6.5 hours per day. Families that are eligible for both Head Start and State Preschool may attend both programs for a 6.5 hour day.
All Head Start programs offer comprehensive services to children and families that support family well-being and children’s school readiness goals. The programs offer services and resources in: Child Development / Health / Mental Health / Nutrition, Family/Community Partnerships and Program Governance.
The Early Head Start Program is a federally funded program designed to serve income eligible families who are expecting a child and/or have children ages birth to 3 years of age. The program provides weekly visits within the homes to promote positive family health and development. In addition, families attend socialization activities twice each month.
The focus of the Early Head Start Program is to provide family centered and community-based services and support that are high quality and promote healthy child development. Early Head Start operates on a year round schedule in order to assure continuous, consistent services to families.
El Dorado County Preschool Programs provide an enriching experience for preschool children from 3 to 5 years of age. Both full cost and income eligible subsidized families are enrolled. Subsidized program eligibility is determined by the Department of Education, Child Development Division. Preschool programs provide individualized early education, focusing on school readiness and literacy skills. Each program operates 3.5 hours per day Monday through Friday. The academic year aligns with school district calendars.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
We have schools all over the county from El Dorado Hills up to South Lake Tahoe! You can find a complete list of locations here.
There are half-day or full-day programs available at different locations. Our preschools generally follow the school district calendar for the school site they are located on. For example: the Georgetown preschool is open/closed the same days as the elementary school. The Head Start/State preschools typically have one minimum day a month, the first Wednesday of the month, for staff development.
Yes! Our program offers breakfast, lunch, and snacks as determined by each program’s schedule per the Child and Adult Care Food Program. Meals are served “family style” to provide a healthy eating environment for students to learn about nutrition, with an emphasis on whole grain rich breads and cereals, fresh fruits and vegetables, low fat proteins and low-fat dairy. Monthly menus are posted in the classroom.
We offer special diets for children that have food allergies and/or food sensitivities. Notify the Nutrition Coordinator or your teacher to process appropriate paperwork for a special diet. We ask that you support our healthy classroom policies by keeping sweet food treats at home for family activities. We advise nonfood activities for celebrations at school; check with your teacher for ideas and suggestions.
You can view a sample schedule for our preschoolers here.
Our Early Head Start programs are ages 0-3 and Head Start and State Preschool are for ages 3-5 years old.
- Income Verification - Current Year Tax Return or W2 for Head Start
- Income Verification - Most Current Paystubs - Consecutive 30 days (1 month) for State Preschool
- Current immunizations
- Birth certificates for all children in the family
- Family or child’s Medical/Insurance Card
- Residency Verification
- IEP/ IFSP (if applicable)
- Child Development Programs and Services office on the Western Slope is located at the El Dorado County Office of Education Bldg. F, 6767 Green Valley Road, Placerville CA 95667. Please call or email (530) 295-2276 or (530) 295-2270 (Se habla español) firstname.lastname@example.org for more information regarding programs, applications or enrollment.
- Child Development Programs and Services office in South Lake Tahoe is located at 1286 Kyburz Ave. SLT, CA 96150. Please call (530) 543-8200 for more information regarding programs, applications or enrollment.
- In Compliance with the American Disabilities Act, for those requiring special assistance to access these documents or require these documents be made accesible, please contact Veronica Arechiga at (530) 295-2322; email@example.com.