El Dorado County Academic Decathlon Competition
About the Academic Decathlon
The Academic Decathlon provides academic competitions which promote learning and academic excellence through teamwork. The Academic Decathlon is a competitive event modeled after the Olympics Decathlon, designed to stimulate academic achievement and honor "athletes of the mind". The competition provides students the opportunity to participate in an educational forum, which fosters a deep respect for knowledge, cooperation, and self-esteem.
A unique aspect of the Academic Decathlon is that it is designed to include students of all academic abilities and achievement levels. Comprehensive high schools on the Western Slope of El Dorado County field teams of nine competitors. Each team consists of three “A”, three “B”, and three “C or below” students. Each team member competes against other students in his/her division in ten events: Art, Economics, Essay, Interview, Language/Literature, Math, Music, Science, Speech, and SuperQuiz. Overall team scores are calculated using the top two individual scores from each division.
Winning students receive medals – gold, silver and bronze. The winning team from our county competition travels to state competition. Teams who win state competitions go on to compete at the national level.
Funding for the El Dorado County Academic Decathlon comes from community sponsors and from the general fund of El Dorado Union High School District. The El Dorado County Office of Education funds a part-time program assistant.
Our county program has been successful for over 30 years due, in part, to the efforts of over 150 volunteers serving in various capacities: speech and interview judges, testing proctors, computer programmer, registrar or master of ceremonies. Contributions of time or any dollar amount are gratefully accepted. For more information regarding the Academic Decathlon or if you would like to volunteer, call the Communications office at 530-295-2457 or 530-295-2411.
Important Dates 2021-22
- CAD Online Scrimmage (Option 1) –– Saturday, November 13, 2021. Registration due October 15, 2021.
- Online Capital Region Scrimmage (Option 2) –– Saturday, December 11. Registration due Friday, December 3, 2021
- DEADLINE: Student Registration for Virtual EDC Regional Aca Deca Competition –– Friday, December 17, 2021
All students must be registered by this date with the following submitted:
- Registration form
- Student Roster & Transcripts (GPA forms to be completed by CAD
- Pre-competition Coach Meeting –– TBD week of January 10-14, 2021
- DEADLINE: Team Changes Due –– Monday, January 10, 2022, by 5:00 p.m. Last day for coaches to make changes to their primary team. Email changes to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Virtual Academic Decathlon: Essay Event –– Thursday, January 20, 2022 - Students will compete in the essay portion of the Academic Decathlon online.
- Virtual Academic Decathlon: Speech/Interview –– January 24-28. Date TBD. Students will compete in the Speech & Interview portion of the Academic Decathlon online.
- Virtual Academic Decathlon: Objective Tests –– Saturday, January 29, 2022- Window 8:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m. Decathletes will take 7 objective multiple-choice tests online. Proctored testing at each school site.
- Virtual Academic Decathlon: Awards Ceremony–– Wednesday, February 9, 2022, time TBD
- Virtual California Academic Decathlon –– March 2022 - See California Academic Decathlon Website
- United States Academic Decathlon –– April 2022 - See United States Academic Decathlon Website